Thursday 9 June 2011

Departing Seoul and Last Reflections




The last day in Seoul! I spent my last day in South Korea experiencing the things that most Korean girls would experience on a Saturday away from school. I got up early and packed things ready to leave for the next day. The flight was going to be long; my in-flight bag was broken and decided to buy things to keep me entertained for the flight. I went and had breakfast in a cafe just around the corner. I desperately needed a new bag for the flight. I went to Myeongdong to buy a bag. Once I finished shopping, I had the last Korean Meal in a self-service restaurant in the centre of Myeongdong. I was quite sad that it was probably the last chance to ever experience Korean food, and made the most of it by eating quite a lot!

After the meal went to the cinema to watch Inception. As a cinema employee it was almost a nice bridge between being in Korea and being at home. The cinema was very big (6 floors) and the cinema screens were very big. The Inception was screened in English with Korean subtitles.

After the film was over, I grabbed some snack foods for dinner and headed back to the guesthouse. With my team, I discussed how the trip had gone, sitting in the park just behind the guesthouse. We all had really enjoyed this once in a lifetime opportunity. We felt we had experienced a lot of different aspects of Korean life. Although stressful at times, the experience taught us a lot about the Eastern culture and its values. If we had another opportunity we would have gone again and may have done things differently. We would not give up a chance to explore South Korea once more.

Commentary by Lydia Braisby
3rd Year Study of Religions

No comments: